One thing to keep in mind while reading through the following list: It's possible I won't even buy a Wii U system until late next year, so expecting me to buy and play all of the Wii U games mentioned below between now and the dawn of 2014 may be a bit much.
Still, I consider myself to be a pretty positive person--when it comes to gaming, at least--so I'm hopeful that I'll get to play at least a handful of these 10 titles before 2013 is over.
1. Bayonetta 2--Although I've thus far avoided experiencing the first Bayonetta, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little excited about its Wii U-based sequel. Don't worry, I'm planning to check out the Xbox 360 version of the original before the much-ballyhooed follow-up winds up on North American store shelves.
2. Dragon Quest X--Of all the Wii U games included in this post, this is the only one that has yet to earn an official North American release announcement. Interestingly, should the Wii U version of Dragon Quest X arrive on our shores before next Christmas (which is when I'm expecting it to be released--if at all), it may prompt me to pick up Nintendo's latest console earlier than I had planned. That's how much I want to play it.
3. New Super Mario Bros. U--Strange, but true: Apparently I'm only interested in the New Super Mario Bros. titles that are made for Nintendo's consoles. After all, I was bored to tears by the DS-based original, and I've yet to even try its just-released-for-the-3DS sequel. New Super Mario Bros. U, though, earned a spot on my "to buy" list the minute I laid eyes on it. In fact, I expect it to be the first Wii U game I pick up (unless, of course, I buy the "Deluxe Set").
4. Nintendo Land--As I believe I've said before, I'm going to get Nintendo Land simply because of "Balloon Trip Breeze." I'm also pretty interested in "Animal Crossing: Sweet Day" and "Luigi's Ghost Mansion" and "Metroid Blast," though, so it's not like I'll be blowing my hard-earned dough on a single, bite-sized mini-game.
5. Pikmin 3--This game would be on my Wii U wish list even if I hadn't seen screenshots and videos of it before now. Is it going to be the earth-shattering, made-for-the-Wii-U-from-the-ground-up sequel that some die-hard fans had hoped it would be? Probably not, but that doesn't mean it isn't going to be a ton of fun.
6. Scribblenauts Unlimited--Although I'm including this Wii U launch title here, I'm still on the fence as to whether I'll buy it alongside the system. Don't get me wrong, it looks great, and I love that it features a more open and explorable world than its predecessors, but that may not be enough for me to add it to my shopping cart when it comes down to it. In the meantime, consider me a curious on-looker.
7. Tank! Tank! Tank!--This arcade conversion wasn't even on my radar until I saw this hilarious promo video. Now, I'm giving serious thought to having a copy sent my way shortly after I buy a Wii U--assuming I can find one that's been discounted a bit. ($49.99 for such a game seems a bit steep, if you ask me.)
8. Wii Fit U--I'm probably the only North American looking forward to this piece of Wii U software. What can I say? I thought Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus were great, and this update looks to be even better. The key selling point for yours truly: I'll finally be able to benefit from Wii Fit's workouts while watching my favorite TV shows.
9. The Wonderful 101--I was pretty sure I'd like this one when I saw footage of it following E3 2012. Then I played it at the Wii U Experience event held in Seattle a few months ago. Now I know I'll love it and I can't wait to get my grubby hands on the finished product.
10. ZombiU--I have to admit that I was not impressed with this Ubisoft release when this was first announced. The name, the graphics, the developer--none of it interested me. Over time, though, I've had a bit of a change of heart when it comes to this seemingly fresh addition to the zombie-focused FPS genre. Granted, it's possible I'll give it a pass once I finally get around to purchasing a Wii U, but at the moment it's as likely a pick-up as any on this list.
See also: '10 North American 3DS games I'm looking forward to playing in 2013'