I'm too lazy to listen to the podcast myself, so here's a GoNintendo reader's assessment of what was divulged:
- The game begins like the rest of the series (i.e., in a town with an inn, shop, roaming characters...).
- Stages are numbered just like old-school Mario games.
- You cannot run or throw turtle shells at the beginning of the game. Apparently you learn these moves as you advance through the story.
- Classic characters appear, some in "remixed" form.
- The game opens with video footage.
Hmmm, not sure what to think about some of that. The combination of RPG and platforming elements sounds a bit bizarre. I'm going to give Intelligent Systems the benefit of the doubt, though, since the previous Paper Mario games turned out so beautifully.